WHAT IS #GIVINGTUESDAY?
We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals. Now, we have #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back. On Tuesday, December 1, 2015, charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
As you consider how to give back this holiday season, we hope that you will remember Camp Dreamcatcher, one of the featured organizations of #GivingTuesdayChesCo. Each year we offer numerous therapeutic and educational programs for children whose lives have been touched by HIV/AIDS. We also aim to foster an atmosphere of tolerance, compassion, respect and understanding through volunteer opportunities, services and expanded community outreach.
WHO ARE OUR KIDS?
Camp Dreamcatcher has been providing FREE programs to HIV/AIDS impacted youth for 20 years! Our 20th Therapeutic and Educational Camp Session was held August 23-29, 2015. The program served 117 HIV/AIDS impacted youth between the ages of 5-17, and 14 young adults, between the ages of 18-25. 85% of the campers were African American, 10% Latino/Latina and 5% Caucasian. 96% of the campers come from low-income households and most do not have access to free therapeutic and educational programs in their own communities. 35% of the children served are HIV/AIDS infected themselves and 65% have an HIV/AIDS infected family member or have lost a family member to an AIDS related complication. 65% of the children and counselors have been attending our programs for 8-20 years. The campers came from PA, DE, NJ, NY, VA and MD. 241 counselors, medical personnel, professionals and community members volunteered for the session..
WHAT ARE OUR PROGRAMS?
- Summer Camp: We offer a one-week therapeutic and educational camp session for hundreds of HIV/AIDS infected/affected youth.
- HIV/AIDS Education and Community Outreach: Camp Dreamcatcher staff, volunteers and members of the “Teen Speaker’s Bureau” provide HIV/AIDS education and community outreach.
- Counselor Training: All counselors receive training in two different sessions in the summer.
- Teen Leadership Retreat: Our teen participants enjoy a weekend of therapeutic, educational and recreational activities.
- Mentoring Program: An experiential learning environment for young adults whose lives have been touched by HIV/AIDS and empowers youth to understand their full potential as caring and compassionate citizens.
- Adopt-a-Family Program: This program is held in November and December each year, and generous donors purchase gifts for dozens of HIV/AIDS affected youth.
- Family support and advocacy services are provided throughout the year. These services include transportation to medical appointments, assistance with applications and serving as mentors to young adults as they make the transition into college life.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
On # GivingTuesday, please consider giving a donation to Camp Dreamcatcher. Although all levels of support are important to the camp’s success, the camp is free to all children who wish to attend, so please, consider the following when choosing a way to contribute:
- A gift of $1500 will support camper transportation for the camp week
- A gift of $500 will sponsor one child to attend the camp week
- A gift of $250 will support our therapeutic programming for the camp week
- A gift of $150 will sponsor one teen to attend the Teen Leadership Retreat
- A gift of $150 will support the HIV/AIDS & Diversity Counselor Training
- A gift of $100 support medical supplies for the camp week
- A gift of $50 A $50 donation will support art/craft supplies for the camp week
- A gift of $25 will support our art/crafts program for the camp week